2 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 2 (van in totaal 2)
  • Q:
    Bijdrager
    satish_goteti

Internet connection Problems – IMAC G4 – Speedtouch 330 USB

Dear iMAC Experts,

I am struggling to help one of my friends in getting her iMAC connect to the internet using a SPEEDTOUCH USB 330 modem. Her ISP provider is Belgacom in Belgium and she has an ADSL GO plan. The following is her iMAC specifications.

– 1.2 GHz PowerPC G4(3.3)
    – 256MB RAM
    – 60GB Hard Drive
    – Mac OS X 10.3.9
    – Internal Modem
    – Ethernet port
    – 3 USB ports

I installed the drivers downloaded from Speedtouch USB 330 modem. The installation did not go OK. I then installed the drivers downloaded from Belgacom (the ISP’s website) which did work I suppose. I now have Alacatel Speedtouch 330 under my applicaitons, but only of the diagnostics application. I do not see any icon on the desktop which Belgacom says I should have to open a PPPOE connection. Under the applications, I see only the Speedtouch Diagnostics application but not the one to connect to internet.

The very reason I post in this discussion forums and not contacting Belgacom is they do not support MAC OSX 10.3 and higher. Great and wonderful news!!

The modem constantly has both the LED’s flashing green but the PC doesn’t recognize the modem under network and internet connections. Under System Preferences Network Icon, as per the installation manual, it is supposed to say a new port is detected, but this iMAC never says it has detected a new port, nor do I see Speedtouch USB in the Show List of the network window. A speedtouch status icon is not installed on the DOCK as well.

The same modem works like a charm on a windows XP pc without any problems. This iMAC has a built in modem which we are not using for this connection. Is this the problem?

Alternatively I am not seeing the “Internet Connect” in the application folder. Am I searching at the wrong place? Pardon my ignorance I come from a windows background.

Buying a new modem/router is a last option and would be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction or what I am doing wrong. I searched various discussion forums and googled multiple sites to go through this problem and realize that most users with SpeedTouch USB 330 modem have switched to a better modem, but I would like to give it a shot before I suggest her to switch to a new modem.

If switching to an ethernet modem is the only option, can someone please recommend a good ethernet modem which is not going to cost her an arm and a leg and which works on the imac with specifications mentioned above?

It is quite frustrating trying to solve this problem from the last three weeks and now I am here seeking help from other people of the iMAC family.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers

Bijdrager
    HSL

USB works, but sucks big time!

ethernet is the only fashionable solution,
    any speedtouch (ethernet) (510 546 580 570 716) will be just fine.

2 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 2 (van in totaal 2)

Je moet ingelogd zijn om een reactie op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.